As Seen in Natural Awakenings Magazine!
Creative Writing Extravaganza
Tuesdays, August 16 – October 4, 2016, 7:00 to 8:30 PM
Bliss Spiritual Co-op
1163 Pleasant Oaks Drive, off Chuck Dawley Blvd
Mount Pleasant, SC
No registration required! Attend all eight weeks or drop in when you can!
Join us as we explore how the raw material of our life experiences informs our artistic expression and how we can develop them into poems, stories, flash memoir, and more! Each class will focus on a specific sample or style of writing from which students will generate their own work by responding to prompts, engaging in invention activities, and emulating the sample writing itself. Time will also be set aside during each class for students to read aloud from any new work they wish to share (always optional). All levels are welcome.
We will explore:
- Imagination in prose and poetry
- The music of the sentence
- Forms of poetry (and why they matter)
- Elements of narrative
- The Lyric Essay
- Flash fiction
- Fun with metaphor, simile, and personification
- Flash creative non-fiction
- The role of the writer’s journal
- How drawing helps writing
- Deepening writing through awareness and meditation
- Deepening awareness and meditation though writing
- Establishing a regular writing practice
- Working through fear of failure
- Working through fear of success
- The joy of revision
- Revising life stories for empowerment
- Deepening self-awareness and healing through writing
- Deepening craft through self-awareness
Bring your journal, favorite writing instrument, and inner child!