Poetry is meant to be spoken, and it is meant heard. So this week, memorize a favorite poem – preferably one of your own. Make memorizing fun by trying any of the following approaches:
- Sing your poem out loud in the shower.
- Write it a hundred times in a notebook.
- Post copies of it on the refrigerator, on the bathroom mirror, or on your car’s dashboard.
- Perform it in front of a mirror or in front your stuffed animals or portraits of your family and friends.
- Record yourself reciting the poem and listen (or watch) your performance – repeatedly.
- Prepare as if you were going to perform in front of a live audience of hundreds. Someday, you might.
Feel free to share the poem you choose to memorize in the comments section below.
William Carlos Williams
so much depends
a red wheel
glazed with rain
beside the white