Zingara Poetry Review seeks poems written from the heart by practicing poets across demographics and around the world. To encourage submission from underrepresented poets, ZPR features poems by poets of specific populations and backgrounds each month, though poems may be published at any time. We do not charge submission fees but welcome donations through Paypal sent to email@example.com. Suggested donation is $1-$5.
July: Poets who live EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI
August: Work by undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program (any discipline) or who have graduated within the past two years.
September: Work by graduate students currently in or recently graduated from a writing-related graduate program, including MFA or MA in English.
October: Work by indigenous people, particularly Native Americans.
November: International Writers (anyone who isn’t living, or wasn’t born, in the United States).
December: Poets over 50
January: Poems by new and unpublished poets (no full-length book)
February: African American/Black American Poets
March: Women only please.
April: Poetry Month – a poem will be published every day this month so send your best work!
- Send 1-3 previously unpublished poems of 40 lines of fewer in the body of an email, any style, any subject, to ZingaraPoet@gmail.com with the submission category (e.g. Undergraduate Student) as the subject of your email.
- Include a cover letter and brief professional biography of 50 words or fewer, also in the body of your email.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let me know immediately if submitted work is accepted elsewhere.
- Published poets receive bragging rights and the chance to share their work with a diverse and ever-growing audience.
- Submissions which do not follow these guidelines will be disregarded.
- If accepted work is later published elsewhere, please acknowledge that the piece first appeared in Zingara Poetry Review.
- There are no fees to submit, though donations are welcome. All submitters will be subscribed to the Zingara Poetry Review periodical newsletter.
- Check Zingara Poetry Review frequently to read new poems.
- Zingara Poetry Review retains first digital rights, though rights revert back to the poet upon publication.
What we look for in a poem:
Like all editors, we like to see interesting poems that do what they do well. Whether traditional, conceptual, lyrical, or formal, they should exhibit the poet’s clear understanding of craft and, just as importantly, revision. Very elemental poems that have not undergone effective revision will probably not make the cut. Likewise, poems which are contrived, sacrifice meaning for the sake of rhyme, feel incomplete, do not risk sentimentality (or are too sentimental), or lack tension when tension is needed, will also be dismissed. I am a fan of rich, vivid imagery, cohesive discursiveness, and surprising metaphors. Finally, poems which perpetuate harmful stereotypes of gender, race, or class will most certainly not be considered.
We read every submission and consider it carefully. As a result, response time vary from 2 days to 6 months