Zingara Poetry Review seeks poems written from the heart by practicing poets across demographics and around the world. We do not charge submission fees but welcome donations through Paypal (email@example.com)
- Send 1-3 previously unpublished poems of 40 lines of fewer in the body of an email, any style, any subject, to ZingaraPoet@gmail.com.
- Include a cover letter and brief professional biography of 50 words or fewer, also in the body of your email.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let us know immediately if submitted work is accepted elsewhere.
- Published poets receive bragging rights and the chance to share their work with a diverse and ever-growing audience.
- Submissions which do not follow these guidelines will not be considered.
- If accepted work is later published elsewhere, please acknowledge that the piece first appeared in Zingara Poetry Review.
- There are no fees to submit, though donations are welcome. All submitters will be subscribed to the Zingara Poetry Review periodical newsletter.
- Check Zingara Poetry Review frequently to read new poems.
- Zingara Poetry Review retains first digital rights, though rights revert back to the poet upon publication.
What we look for in a poem:
Like all editors, we like to see interesting poems that do what they do well. Whether traditional, conceptual, lyrical, or formal, they should exhibit the poet’s clear understanding of craft and, just as importantly, revision. Very elemental poems that have not undergone effective revision will probably not make the cut. Likewise, poems which are contrived, sacrifice meaning for the sake of rhyme, feel incomplete, do not risk sentimentality (or are too sentimental), or lack tension when tension is needed, will also be dismissed. I am a fan of rich, vivid imagery, cohesive discursiveness, and surprising metaphors. Finally, poems which perpetuate harmful stereotypes of gender, race, or class will most certainly not be considered.
We read every submission and consider it carefully. As a result, response time vary from 2 days to 6 months